News: Amir Khan Vs Lamont Peterson Rematch Is Called Off!

Amir Khan’s rematch with Lamont Peterson has been called off after the American tested positive for a banned substance.

Amir Khan tweeted moments ago the following message:

“The fight is off! sorry everyone the only person to blame is @kingpete26 I’ll be looking for a opponent to fight June 30th”

A statement on the Golden Boy Promotions  website confirmed the fight has been called off.

It read: “A failed pre-fight drug test administered by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA), coupled with the Nevada State Athletic Commission’s (NSAC) legal inability to hold a formal hearing on the matter of licensing Lamont Peterson for his Saturday, May 19 rematch against Amir Khan until Tuesday, May 15, has forced the cancellation of the event.”

Golden Boy Promotions chief executive Richard Schaefer confirmed earlier this week that Peterson tested positive from the A and B samples taken in March, but gave a negative test in follow-up samples from 13 April.

A statement from Peterson’s camp said they would submit medical findings to the commission “reflecting the facts in support of Lamont’s good faith intentions” in the hope of securing the licence needed to fight in Nevada.

Speaking to Sky Sports News, Khan said: ‘First of all I’m disappointed because I trained very hard for this fight.

‘It was only 10 days away from the fight where my dad came knocking on my bedroom door and said to me “look, Lamont Peterson’s failed his drug test and the fight’s no longer going to happen”.

‘It was a big shock for me. My head was all over the place, I really, really wanted to win my titles back and have the fight. But the truth’s come out now and it just proves that Lamont Peterson was a cheat really.

‘It hurt me more than anything because I really did want to go in there and put on a performance and show the world how good Amir Khan is.’

May 9, 2012  |  Mainstream, News  | 
 


Leave a Reply

Connect with Facebook